Resident permit & VISA

Incoming exchange students should have a valid passport and/or identity card for the entire period of time to be spent in Bucharest as following:

  • Exchange students who are citizens from EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland do not need a visa to entry or study in Romania.
  • Citizens of EU / EEA / Swiss Confederation may enter and stay in Romania according to the right to free movement and residence guaranteed by the Romanian state legislation in line with European provisions. If you stay in Romania longer than 3 months you must register your residency (by obtaining a registration certificate) to the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration.
  • If you are not in the above category, you can enter in Romania through all border crossing points if you present a passport and a valid visa, where is the mandatory. List with countries who don’t need visa here and those who need here.
  • Non-EU students must apply for a student visa at the Romanian Embassy in the country of their home university. The acceptance letter and learning/training agreement will support their visa application file. Upon arrival, all non-EU citizens have to register to the Immigration Office in Bucharest, Street Eforiei No. 3-5, 5th district.

You can find documents needed here.

We encourage all incoming exchange students to apply for the European Health Insurance Card or to contract an equivalent health insurance policy before arrival. The European Health Insurance Card provides international students with the same health insurance rights and benefits as Romanian citizens. In the student campus a medical center offers medical services to students, as well as referrals to specialists.