What to not do in Romania?
- People are not allowed to smoke in enclosed areas like train, buses, bars, restaurants, pubs etc., or in public places such as hospitals, train stations, concert halls, and theatres.
- It is illegal to change money on the streets. You should change money only in recognized exchange shops, banks and hotels.
- People can drink and buy alcoholic drinks if they are over 18 years old.
- You can buy alcohol no matter the hour, but drinking in public places is forbidden. That includes streets, parks, trains, buses and public buildings.
- Speed limits (for cars):
- Urban roads: 50 km/h (generally)
- On national European roads: 100 km/h
- On motorways: 130 km/h
- Other roads: 90 km/h
- The use of seat belts and child seats are mandatory.
- Use of mobile phones while driving is banned, with the exception of hands free systems.
- Children under 12 years of age may not be transported in the front seat.
- The headlights have to be always turned on outside cities and during rain and dark.
- You are not allowed to drink&drive. The percent in your breath/blood has to be 0.0%.
- Parking is permitted in special parking areas and on public roads (unless there are signs prohibiting it).
- Rovinieta is mandatory on all national roads
- Check Tips for more indications.
- In the dorm you cannot smoke, you are not allowed with alcoholic drinks, you are not allowed to disturb the other students, other students which are not living in your dorm can’t stay over night.
- You can find more details concerning laws in the dorms on the contract that you will sign on your first day, which is recommended to be kept.
- For breaking driving laws there exists a point system. Be careful, for breaking some laws you can directly lose your driving license or go to jail.
- Fine for drinking on streets varies between x-y lei
- You can get between a 200-500 lei fine for not having bus ticket